I love the Beatitudes.
They illustrate beautiful qualities of character — the kind of person you want to be around.
They exemplify the perfect friend.
- Humility — there is no quality more amazing to me than humility. It is beautiful, graceful & gracious.
- Comforting — we’ve all had times when we’ve been down and turned to a friend for comfort. It’s a wonderful feeling. And to be able to give comfort when someone else is down gives a sense of satisfaction.
- Selfless & generous — someone who can share and isn’t greedy.
- Appreciates good activities (and good clean fun!)
- Satisfaction in right-doing — does the right thing, even if it’s not popular (even if you don’t want to).
- Forgiving — doesn’t focus on the past or hold a grudge.
- Genuine — honest, authentic (not fake).
- Peace-loving (instead of drama-loving) — looks for the best in you and others (doesn’t get in to gossip).
- Loyal, faithful & devoted — to his/her beliefs as well as to your friendship.
- Confident & courageous — stands up for what is right; sticks up for beliefs as well as friends.
See what I mean? It’s a perfect model for friendship (or business partner or neighbor). Christ Jesus exemplified this and showed us we can, too — that it is right and normal. He wouldn’t have said it if we couldn’t be it!
Enjoy giving & expressing these qualities today. You’ll be thanked for it!